(Formerly Shriram English School)
On March 3, 1919, “L. R. Joshi Memorial Shriram English School “was established. From 1880 onwards, English classes were started in Devgad. Late Mr. Pandurang K. Kareker, Late Bhaskarrao Gogte, Late Moropant Gogte, Late Mama Marathe, Late S. N. Kulkarni, Late Abasaheb Valanju, Late Babasaheb Nadkarni, Late G. L. alias Bhausaheb Joshi, the teaching-oriented people took the initiative to set up Shriram English School. After the purchase of the property by the organization in 1934, the corner stone fixing ceremony of the school building was conducted at the hands of great Literary legend N. C. alias Tatya Saheb Kelkar.
The school building, its compound and the well was completed in 1935. Late Shri. Shivram V. Karandikar donated a big amount to the school in the memory of his father-in-law Late Shri. Parashuram Bhau Bodas. And hence the school main building was named as “Parsurambhau Bodas Vidya Mandir”. On 1st November, 1935 the school was handed over to the board for efficient management. Late Shri. L. Gavankar (B. A. B. T.) was the first principal of the school. A contact with Mumbai based industrialist Late Shri. Mafatlal Gagalbhai was established through the efforts of Late Shri. Ravabahadur Shri G. Achrekar’s. And as a result of his huge donation, on April 9, 1938, Shriram English School was renamed as “Sheth Mafatlal Gaglabhai High School” in his presence.
In the year 1940, the school acquired a land through the government and started using it as a playground. In 1941, Sheth Mafatlal Gaglabhai gave an additional donation for construction of new building which was named as “Late. Rajaratna Pransukhulal Extension “. “Harnivas Hostel” was constructed through the donation given by Late Shri. W. R. Gore and this could facilitate staying arrangements for students from different Talukas.
Late in 1948, a Laboratory were built from the donation given by Late Shri. Babasaheb Rege. Late Shri. W. S. Rane gave donation for the library and Late Shri. B. Karandikar and Late Shri. G. V. Karandikar gave donation for the gymnasium. In this way, school buildings were constructed one by one from the donations made by various donors. In 1941 the Sheth Mafatlal Gagalbhai High School was transformed into a full fledged school and the students of the school began to appear for the matric exams. In 1942 Late Shri. Shankar A Tengshe (M.A.B.T) was appointed as the headmaster of the school. On 1st May 1942, the Maharani of Kolhapur Sansthan, Matoshree Tarabai, visited the school and spoke high about the school. On April 14, 1944, the school celebrated it’s Silver Jubilee in a big way. Realizing the need of a multipurpose auditorium, then Principal Late Shri Tengshe started the construction of an auditorium in 1958 by collecting donations from former students along with his own big donation. And on April 1, 1960, the auditorium was named as “Gurudakshina Sabhagriha”.
In the year 1962, the school got status as a Secondary School Examination Center. In 1964 principal Late Shri. S. A. Tengshay completed his Ph. D. thesis and was awarded a doctorate. He was honored by the Indian government’s highest civilian President award at the hands of then President Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan on 19.11.1965 at Delhi. School’s 50 Years Successful Journey completed with the grand Golden Jubilee celebration on 2nd and 3rd March 1969. On this occasion Late Shri. Sheth Naveen Chandra Mafatlal of Mafatlal Group was present. Late Smt. Radhabai Morjkar gifted 3 houses in market to the board by her will. The new extension building was constructed in the year 1974-75 and by selling these 3 houses and the building was named as “Smt. Radhabai Morjkar Extension”. And thus the need for more rooms was partially met with this.
In 1915, the Devgad Vikas Mandal started a college in Devgad. By considering the availability of college education in areas like Devgad the board gave 4 rooms for college use without any charges from 1979 to 1980. In the year 1978, a land property namely “Santiniketan”, situated at Jamsande was handed over to the board through the will of Late Smt. Anandibai Paranjpe. The facility of accommodation for the teaching / non-teaching staff, coming from far off places was done in this Shantiniketan building.
In March 1990, Kum. Rupali Yashwant Lavekar secured 16th merit rank in SSC board with 92% and wrote the school name in golden letters. She also stood 1st in all the board schools. Later, 9 students of the school got honor of coming in the merit list till March 2007. From March 2008, the examination board stopped publishing merit list.
From the academic year 2000-2001, for the purpose of expansion of education, the school has been running classes on a non-subsidiary basis, for children, kindergarten and pre-primary classes (1 to 4) and is successfully running till date. In 2008, Mr. Sadanand Waman Pawar and Mrs. Malini Sadanand Pawar donated a big amount of Rs 10,00,000/-. And according to their wish, the pre-primary school was named as “Milind Sadanand Pawar Pre-Primary School”. Many activities are being implemented successfully, such as group planning, Savitibhai Phule adoptive parental transformation center, music training, computer training, English conversation courses and has become characteristic of our school. Our school is improving the board examination results year after year. Many of our ex-students are doing exceedingly well at the national and international level.